Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Object of the Day: “Trial by Jury,” A Trade Card for Thomas’ Ecletric Oil



Thomas’ Eclectric Oil.  Hmmmm… 

Well, at first I thought this card said, “Thomas’ Electric Oil.”

Is it lamp oil?  Nope.  Was it made to lubricate early electrical appliances?  No.  No, not at all.

It’s ECLECTRIC OIL!  "Electric," with an extra “C” because, well…I don’t know why.  Spell-check is going nuts.

Umm…

It’s medicine.  Really.

This trade card advertises the aforementioned Thomas’ Eclectric Oil.  I’m guessing it dates to 1880 or thereabouts.  The obverse of the card shows a child (as they often did).  He or she (as it’s rather difficult to tell with the Victorian tots) wears a wide-brimmed red hat over a cascade of golden curls.  The child holds a handkerchief over which the brand name has been printed.

Let’s take a look at the reverse.  I’m going to need my reading glasses for this one.  Stupid tiny type.  Hold on.  Okay, here we go.  It reads:






Full set of cards will be sent on receipt of three-cent stamp.

Foster, Milburn & Co., Buffalo, N.Y.

TRIAL BY JURY

The reputation of THOMAS’ ECLECTRIC OIL has not been settled by a jury of twelve, but by thousands of intelligent, thinking people—people who cannot be bribed or bought—people who read and judge for themselves.  They say—and we say here—that—
Internally, for colds, coughs, asthma, catarrh and sore throat; and externally, for rheumatism, lameness, aches, sprains, and pains.  THOMAS’ ECLECTRIC OIL is an unrivalled remedy, and one that has effected more cures than all other competitive remedies united.
Spend two minutes in reading the following testimonials:

“Had rheumatism; used Thomas’ Eclectric Oil; got out in one week.”  --James Durham, East Pembroke, N.Y.
“Thomas’ Eclectric Oil beats the world.”  --H.C. Hoberman, Marion, O.
“Is certainly the best thing I ever knew for the relief of pain.”  --Mrs. A.M. Frank, 177 W. Tupper, Buffalo, N.Y.
“Had asthma eight years.  Thomas’ Eclectric Oil completely cured me.”  --Aug. Truner, Tyrone, P.A.
“Never saw a medicine in my life that gave such universal satisfaction.”  --C.R. Hall, Druggist, Grayville, O.
“Thomas’ Eclectric Oil will cure catarrh; do not care how serious the case; and for the most obstinate cols and coughs, it has done wonders to my certain knowledge.”  --Rev. E. F. Crane, Corry, Pa.
“Tramped upon by a horse, and for a year the pain through my hips was so bad, could not rise upon my feet.  Thomas’ Eclectric Oil helped me beyond description.”  --John Funk, Springfield, O.
“Sat up in bed and coughed until the clothing was wet with perspiration.  Two bottles of Thomas’ Eclectric Oil cured me.”  --E.H. Perkins, Creek Centre, N.Y.
“Has magical pain-killing and healing properties.”  --O.J. Doesberry.  Proprietor Holland City News, Holland, Mich.

SOLD BY.


Sold by…no one, in this case.  However, this was where a druggist would have put his stamp.

Whew!  After squinting to try to read that stupid tiny type, I now have a headache.  Perhaps I need some THOMAS’ ECLECTRIC OIL.

            “Tried to read a Victorian Trade Card; dog laughed at me.  Got a headache. Wondered about extra 'c.' THOMAS’ ECLECTRIC OIL didn’t kill me.”  --J.R. Crisalli, McKinney, Tx.

Here are a few observations.  First of all, I don’t think I’d be too keen to drink the same medicine I’ve been smearing on my hips and other body parts.  But, that’s just me.

I wonder what James Durham, Mrs. A.M, Frank, John Funk and O.J. Doesberry, et al would say if they knew that over one hundred years after they supposedly made these claims that some man in a house in Texas (which incidentally dates to about the time this card was printed) would not only be reading their quotes, but typing them for all the world to see.

What the heck is catarrh?  Is it like quinsy?  Let’s see.  It seems catarrh is a disorder wherein the mucus membranes swell and you expel a lot of junk from various orifices.  Yum. 

And…finally, what was in Thomas’ Eclectric Oil which rendered it suitable for the treatment of, well…everything from being sat on by a horse to sweaty coughing?

It seems to have been made mostly of camphor and red thyme oil with a few other suspensions in there:  spirits of turpentine, oil of tar, and fish oil.  Again, yum.

And, why “ECLECTRIC?”  It seems it was just a made-up name.  An oil by any other name would…help  you after your horse sits on you. 



4 comments:

Darcy said...

This post is so funny! The copy on the trade card and the testimonials had to have been written by the great-grandparents of today's"as seen on tv" commercial writers and infomercial writers.
I couldn't stop myself from laughing out loud when I read your perspective on the whole thing. Funny, very funny!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Darcy!

Dashwood said...

If you say "Eclectric" very quickly and loud with your hand over your mouth and nose it sounds like a sneeze which often accompanies catarrh. Try saying it in your local Walgreen's and see what they give you.

Thomas', of course!

Joseph Crisalli said...

I will! I want a bottle of it for the next time a horse sits on me and gives me catarrh.