Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Object of the Day, Museum Edition: A Slice of Queen Victoria's Wedding Cake

A slice of the wedding cake of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert
10 February 1893
Crown Copyright
The Royal Collection
Image Courtesy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II


Many brides will save a slice of their wedding cake and tuck it away in the freezer so that, on the first anniversary of the marriage, she and her husband can enjoy it and remember the day.  The Royal Family has long had the same tradition, however, they keep the slices, not in a freezer, but...well, I don't know where...and they keep them forever.  Forever!

On February 10, 1840, a slice of the cake made for the marriage of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert was spirited away for posterity and kept in a wee, flat cardboard box decorated just for that purpose. 

I'm glad to say that it remains to this day.  I'm not sure if that orange mummy we're seeing in there is the cake, but if it is, I know I've finally met a piece of cake I don't want to eat.


No comments: